Friday, November 28, 2008

Calling all photographers!

I got a new camera for my birthday and these are some of my first attempts at taking some photos. I love Jack when he is in the bath anyway because he looks so clean and fresh! Anyways, I have a question for all of you photographers out there. I am wondering if I should buy photoshop or a cheaper version I found called photoshop elements or if my iphoto is good enough for editing photos etc. I am doing a free trial of photoshop elements right now and I like it but it is kinda confusing for me. Are there any good tutorials on photoshop or how do I learn what to do? Some advice would be helpful! Thanks! Also, how can I make pictures bigger on blogger?

4 comments:

Camille said...

My advice (although not expert):
I first used Elements and really liked it. Now I use Photoshop CS3 and LOVE it. It is even more confusing than Elements, but it can do a lot more. And once you get the hang of it, it's awesome. Elements though, is EXCELLENT for starters, I know a lot of people that just use Elements and really love it. iPhoto doesn't do NEARLY as much as I need, I don't use that at all. I would suggest Elements. And I can always give you some rundowns of the basics that I use.
Lynda.com has AWESOME video tutorials, it costs money to subscribe though...when I need to know how to do something, I just type it in google and I can usually find the answers pretty easily. Also, Jared Medley is an EXPERT because of all the graphic design classes he's taken, so if I ever run into a problem--he loves it when I ask him for help.
Now for the bigger pictures thing, if you're already uploading them as "LARGE" and you want them even bigger then you need to upload them into Photobucket, after you upload them they give you the html code and then you just paste it into the "edit html" option when making a new blog post. Does that make sense? I haven't started doing this yet in my blogs, but I'm going to start and a good BIG size is 600 pixels by 450 pixels, or the step under that. Email me if you have any more questions, I'd love to help!

LittleJaymers said...

It all depends on how much editing you want to do! If you just want to change the contrast, crop, and convert from color to black and white I-Photo should be enough. If you are wanting to start editing for perfection I would buy Photoshop! Hope that helps out!

John, Jess, Ellie, Cade, Eden & Scarlett said...

Kels, email me, I have a lot to say on the topic, and books and helpful websites to recommend depending on how much you want to know. my email is jessgowdy@gmail.com. But DON'T buy PS Elements!

Lindsay said...

How fun--a new camera!! What kind did you get? I have pretty much taught myself everything I know and read some books on it. A really great book is Understanding Exposure, by Bryan Peterson. It is FANTASTIC and a fun book to read because of all the pics and examples. I'm sure you could check it out at the library...that's what I did.

as far as editing programs go...I would HIGHLY recommend
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2.

That is what I have and LOVE. It's only $100 (instead of the CS3 which is around $300, I think). Lightroom does all the photo things that CS3 does--as far as pic editing goes. I got it because I heard of some photographers (whose work I LOVE) who had CS3 and then got Adobe Lightroom and loved it even more, because it is quicker, more simple and to the point.

One of the big advantages with LIghtroom is that it is SO much faster to edit then CS3 (according to them). I know of lots of photographers who spend HOURS editing photos and I really don't have the time for that, so Lightroom has been wonderful for me.

They have so many awesome shortcuts and ways to make your photo editing so fast...not to mention lots of "presets" (different effects) that are fast to use.

Anyways, that is my opinion!

And as far as learning it. It is not nearly as complicated as CS3 or Photoshop Elements (which I had before) AND they have tutorials on it where you can learn all the basic things really quick. I think there are about 12 5 minutes tutorials you can watch which teach you different things you need to know. SO, I really just spent an hour the first day watching them and then figured out the rest on my own.

Anyways, if you have any other questions let me know.

PS you can download a free trial, I think of it...just watch the tutorials as well so you kind of know how to use it. and if you want...I can always show you a quick summary of it all sometime when you are in Alpine.