I don't normally like to "vent" on this blog but right now I could use a little encouragement I guess. So my not so little baby boy has become very difficult over the last couple of weeks. He has always been very independent and very active and that combined with not being able to express himself very well has led to constant screaming and crying all day long! I mean it is very rare now for him to be content and for me not to be putting him in time out or scolding him. I have lost my patience with him so many times that at the end of the day I feel so discouraged and not excited to tackle it again the next day. My biggest pet peeve with him right now is that if he doesn't get what he wants or if someone leaves the room he is in he screams at the top of his lungs. It is so piercing and I swear I get a headache everyday because of it. Timeout sure hasn't worked because now whenever he screams he just says timeout and laughs (so annoying but so cute for some reason). Don't even get me started with church. Let's just say we are working on it :) He is almost two and I am hoping that this is just the terrible two stage and once he starts really talking that he won't get so frustrated. After reading over this it doesn't really sound that bad but I am so sleep deprived and Landon has been gone this whole week so things have just seemed more intense. Anyways, at least I have this little ball of sunshine to keep me going. Seriously, she is an angel.
12 comments:
I know how you feel. I hate those times. I went through that with Kaden and I went to bed every night thinking I wasn't fit to be a mother. Things get better. They just take time. You're doing a great job! It helps to have a little break from them once in awhile. Let me know if you want us to take him for a few hours in the evening so you can RELAX!
Kels, I love to hear about days like this. Real days.. not just the perfect ones! So don't even feel bad for venting!
Avery is a doll! If you ever need a helping hand to get some stuff done or just a break and a chat let me know! I'd love to come over and hang!
Your blog is looking so cute these days too! You're so chic!
Luckily, so far Cade is pretty easy-going, but I remember Ellie having a stage like this and it is hard! A couple things that helped were doing a few simple sign language signs, like more, please, and eat. This helped her when she wanted something but couldn't quite express it. The other thing is just to be consistent, however you decide to do it. I used to take her to her crib when she had a tantrum, which I don't think is the 'recommended' time out spot, but it seemed to get through to her after a while. And if I would give her as little reaction as possible. I wouldn't even say anything. She'd start screaming and I'd calmly pick her up and take her to her bed by herself for a minute or two, and then go it and see if she was ready to be calm and talk to her about not screaming, or whatever.
Good luck though, every kid is so different and it's really hard to find something that's effective.
Kelsi, I saw your Mom the other day and she was watching your little guy...but I know how you feel! My little Caleb is two and we have found that we get along much better when get outside often. It just gives us some space and he can run around and do pretty much anything. I also have to remind myself that he is acting like a two year old because he is two. Hope that helps. We have days that are harder than others too.
I love venting posts! Sometimes in the blogging world it feels like everyone but me is perfect, so sometimes it is good to hear about real life. I wish I knew how you felt. I can imagine it, though. I'm sure it's really hard having Landon SOOO busy. When I am a mom, I am pretty sure I will have venting posts like this EVERY DAY because I am so not patient. I think you're such a cute mom! Hopefully the stage ends soon!!!!
Kelsi! So I just posted a HUGE long post about all this on my blog. Not like I am the expert, but I remember with Owen (since he was our first) we were totally in shock at some of his behavior and had no idea how to handle it. So I started reading a few books and got some ideas and we have been implementing them since about 2 years ago. They have REALLY helped! I keep running into some of my friend's blogs who are having stress about all this crazy toddler energy so I just posted some of the ideas that I have gotten from the books (it's now on our fridge)--so maybe it will give you an idea or two.
Good luck. It's totally the age too. Isn't it nice though to have a little sanity saver though? When Elizabeth was newborn, I remember some days, she seriously saved me! I would go and rock her and was just so grateful she just cuddled into my arms and didn't talk back, throw tantrums, etc
Oh--and about timeouts. Matt started something with the boys which I think is just the BEST idea. Every time they are put in time out (which is our stairs--there aren't any toys or anything to do there) we put them there with one of our watches (or a timer). We set it for how ever old they are (2 yrs = 2 minutes long) and leave them. Once the timer goes off they bring it to us and we talk to them about what they did and they are free to go. This has worked so well. They aren't always asking to get up because they understand when the time is up they are done. And by that time, we have cooled off so we can talk calmly to them about what they did.
pretty much, I have no good advice. Actually, I am dreading that time of life with Matilda... but, you are a champ.
I have all the confidence in you and your parenting. :)
Good luck! Take notes, b/c soon you'll be a pro and we'll all ask you how you got through it! :)
oh kels. i don't have kids yet but have you tried teaching him some sign language? most of the tantrums at that age are from not being able to communicate or express what they want. maybe try the DVDs called "signing times". but i don't know...just a thought :)
Kels I have baby siging time dvds if you would like to try them. McKinlay knows so many sigs and it makes life so much easier. she can tell me when she needs most anything, but really I will be up at my moms on wed. and I can bring them up for you.
I don't blog much anymore, but thought I would jump on and maybe you'd like this book. I've had a bit of trouble with our little Meg too (first children must have big personalities) and my neighbor referred me to a book "How to Raise Your Spirited Child" my Mary Sheedy Kurkinka. It is sooooo good. I really think you'd like it. And hang in there. I'm sure you're a great mom with a lot of love to give. You'll make it. He's lucky to have you.
Kelsi, When I worked in the peditricians office we used to get calls with Moms venting, just like you did. So... you're not alone. The most important thing is to be consistent and to make sure Landon is on the same page as well. If you threaten to do something (take away a today, put in time out, leave a fun place, DO IT! Kids know when they can get away with something and if you are consistent, they learn it won't work. Another thing to do is to get down on his level and in a stern, low voice explain why what he is doing is wrong and don't let up until he listens.
Hope that helps!
Maegan (Landon's favorite cousin)
Hang in there Kelsi. Remember to breathe. =)
Post a Comment