Saturday, November 20, 2010

file folder quiet book

My kids have a really hard time sitting through Sacrament meeting on Sundays so I have been wanting to make some kind of quiet book to help them pass the time. I have seen the way cute fabric quiet books and I was tempted to buy a pattern off etsy and make one but it seemed like a ton of work. Then I saw online that somebody had made a quiet book out of file folder games and I knew that's what I wanted to make. My mom made a bunch of file folder games for my siblings and I when we were young and now Jack loves them. I found a bunch of free file folder games online, printed them off, cut out way too many little pieces, glued them onto file folders, laminated them, and then put them in a three ring binder. It took some work but it was pretty easy and fun to do. Here are a few pictures of my kids favorite games.

The binders.

This one is Avery's favorite. I thought she would be a little too young for some of the games but she actually can do most of them all by herself.

Both of my kids love this one. I ended up putting magnets on all the little pieces because the kids were getting frustrated that the pieces would slide all over the place.










On the back of each game I stapled a little pouch to hold all the pieces in.



Just in case you have crazy kids like me who won't sit still during sacrament meeting and you want to make your own quiet book, here are links to some of the sites where I found the free games. You can also buy file folder game books where you can print off a ton of different games.

File folder fun
preschool printables
Dress the bear

5 comments:

Elise said...

Thank you so much for posting those links! I wanted to make one but didn't know where to start. Your's are so cute! Good job!

melimba said...

I'm so glad you posted the links too!! And, what a great idea to do it in a BINDER!?! oh my word. Genius. The quiet book idea is a great one, and I even bought felt and fabric to do one... but that was two years ago and it's still sitting UNFINISHED in my project bucket. Nice. So, this thing looks like a GREAT idea! I love it! And the magnet idea is great too.
GOOD WORK, you fantastic mom, you!

Sarah said...

what a good idea! i have made a ton of file folder games but now i wish i would have put them all in a binder and have them all together instead of random files all over our house :) thanks for sharing the links too cause i want to make some more.

Halvorsen Family said...

That's exactly what I need...thanks so much for sharing the idea. We're in that not sitting still boat too. I am totally going to make one.

Jessica said...

THANK YOU for posting this!