(A sneak peak of his newborn pictures...)
On Sunday the day before the induction we got a call from labor and
delivery asking us if we could be there the next day by 7 am to be
induced. The next morning we woke up
bright and early (and so excited) and got our bags packed. My mom came around 6:45 to stay with the kids
and then Landon and I headed off to labor and delivery.
We got to the hospital and got situated in
our room and then everything started going pretty quick. My cute nurse (who’s name was Kelsey…)
started asking all the usual health questions and the other nurse started my
IV. I was already dilated to a 3+ and by
about 7:30 everything was ready to go. By 7:40 I was started on the first dose
of Pitocin. To pass the time Landon and I started playing Monopoly Deals. After one game (that he totally dominated)
the nurse came and upped the Pitocin a little bit. After about 5 minutes into another round of
Monopoly Deals the contractions started becoming pretty painful. We stopped the game and Landon became my hand
squeezer as I tried to breath through the contractions. At around 9:40 I
couldn’t take the pain any more and asked for the epidural. Luckily the anesthesiologist came pretty
quick. I was in serious pain and the
pressure was really bad so the nurse decided to check to see how far along I
was. Well to everyone’s surprise I was
already dilated to an 8 and the nurse informed me that the epidural was not
going to kick in fully because I was already so far along. 5 minutes later I was at a 10 and ready to
have the baby.
Backing up a little bit, I tested positive for group b strep and
because of that I was supposed to have antibiotics running through my IV for
four hours before I could give birth.
The on call doctor really wanted me to have the antibiotics for the full
four hours. The only problem was that I
was ready to go and only had the antibiotics in for 2 hours. We decided to sit and wait for one more hour
(dilated to a 10…so painful!) and then have the baby. The doctor thought 3
hours of antibiotics and watching the baby really carefully to make sure he
didn’t get the group b strep would be all right. So at 10:40 I started pushing and after 2
pushes at 10:43 little Miles was born and all the pain was forgotten! He was so dang cute and looked a lot like our
other two kids. I was so relieved to have him here and to see that he was just perfect. He was our biggest baby yet at 7 lbs. 10 oz
and had the most hair of any of our kids. He is the sweetest little thing and Landon and I just loved spending alone time with him at the hospital.
A huge thanks to my mom and dad who babysat my two older kids from Monday to Friday. The kids were in heaven going to parks, getting slushies, playing with cousins, and staying up late every night. I couldn't wait for them to meet Miles and when they saw him for the first time they fell in love! They have rarely left his side since he has been home and they are so sweet with him! Having our three kids under one roof has been the best!

7 comments:
Congrats kels!! What a sweet baby. Glad the delivery went smooth.
I'm so glad everything turned out well! You lived my biggest fear - not having enough time for the epidural. Hope it wasn't too bad and I'm glad he came quick!
OK... His newborns are TO DIE FOR!! He is the cutest. You could have gone au naturale girl! love you.
wow! seriously though, 3 hours?? and natural? wow. try 40 hours and then never dilating more than a 3... ending in a c-section:( i hope mine goes half as well as yours did this time around!! you are awesome and he is so adorable. so happy for you guys.
Quick and perfect! Congrats! He is so handsome!
You are the birth queen. The pictures a super cute, he's so tiny and sweet :) Mandi
You kill me! I'm finally getting the chance to look through all your posts... that you have done with a NEWBORN in tow!?! Way to be so amazing!!
I love hearing birth stories... yours is incredible. I can't believe that even with an induction you went so fast!?!
Congratulations! He really is a DOLL!!
Post a Comment